Vocabulary is all about words — the words in a language or a special set of words you are trying to learn. These are the words you use to speak, listen, write and read.
Words can be defined in various ways, and estimates of vocabulary size differ depending on the definition used. The most common way of defining a word is through a dictionary, another way is through the word family. These are all the words that can be derived from a ground word.
E.g. calm, calmness, calmly
Vocabulary consists of the words we understand when we listen, write, hear or read them (receptive vocabulary) and words we speak or write (expressive vocabulary). Knowing a variety of words is important for language development and reading comprehension.
Disadvantages of Having Little Vocabulary
- Poor Communication – you do not express yourself or ideas in a way that others can understand
- Low self-confidence – You avoid interactions with others, you avoid speaking and writing at all costs
- Appear uneducated – People may think or assume that you didn’t go to school or
- Low self-esteem – you do not think highly of yourself
- Misinterpretations – You are not able to understand meanings of words, phrases or context, or you might get the wrong meaning or context.
- Lowers people’s perception of you – people might start looking down on you or even lose respect for you
- A limited vocabulary usually indicates a possible language learning disability and reduced literacy skills
In this course we talk about the benefits and importance of improving your vocabulary. You will learn about different types and levels of vocabulary.
CLICK HERE to Learn more
Subscribe To Our Newsletter
Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team.
1 thought on “Importance of Vocabulary”
[…] marketing strategies that will ensure your course […]